The practical guide on improving death registration and collecting cause of death information is one of the background documents of the Fourth Conference of African Ministers Responsible for Civil Registration held from 4 to 8 December 2017 in Nouakchott, Mauritania. It was developed to help tackle the above-mentioned challenges. It is intended to help countries design and implement the processes best suited for them with regard to death registration starting with notification of death and ending in the compilation and dissemination of death statistics. The guide is expected to help countries systematically take steps to improve their death registration and cause of death information as a part of death registration systems covering both institutional and non-institutional deaths. This document – Practical Guide on the Improvement of Death Registration and Causes of Death Processes within a civil registration and vital statistics – covers the following topics:
- An introduction to civil registration and vital statistics systems (chapter 1);
- Legal, organizational and infrastructural requirements for efficient death registration and cause of death systems (chapter 2);
- Innovations and novel approaches to improve death registration and cause of death registration processes (chapter 3);
- Business process re-engineering (chapter 4);
- Strategies for improving death registration and collection of cause of death information (chapter 5);
- Monitoring and evaluation (chapter 6).