Attention must also be paid to ensure that legal and institutional frameworks are effectively and consistently applied through the design and implementation of operational procedures and practices.
- Reviewing and adapting registration forms and procedures to align with international standards for legal and statistical purposes;
- Implementing measures to ensure the quality and integrity of legal documentation emanating from the civil registration system;
- Implementing actions to safeguard confidentiality and security of registration information and records;
- Introducing operational procedures to ensure that unregistered children are not deprived of access to rights and services;
- Introducing innovations to increase access to registration, such as mobile registration and use of information technology for registration and maintaining civil registration records;
- Conducting thorough technical analysis and risk assessment to establish how digital technologies can best be used to support CRVS processes in a scalable and sustainable way, and ensuring that mitigation strategies are in place when there are possible threats to the rights of individuals, such as privacy;
- Introducing procedures to build and maintain skills of statistical clerks and related personnel for ICD-compliant coding of causes of death and use of automated coding techniques;
- Enhancing the capacity of the civil registration system to produce and deliver certificates to the public in a timely and efficient manner;
- Harnessing the capacity of hospitals, health centres, religious institutions and schools to contribute to civil registration since they can play significant roles in registering vital events;
- Enhancing national capacities to ensure the safe and secure long-term management and archiving of legal records;
- Implementing measures to register the vital events of residents who are temporarily abroad and in a position to access consular facilities;
- Implementing special measures to register currently unregistered populations, for example through facilitating late birth registration.